Originally built in 1921, the Capitol Theatre was a vaudeville and silent film house at the center of Gordon Square community life. The historic structure, which had been closed for nearly three decades, was redeveloped by Detroit Shoreway Community Development Organization (DSCDO) and re-opened in 2009 as a state-of-the-art movie theatre. Classically-inspired architecture has been restored, but with all the amenities of 21st century technology, featuring all-digital projection and 3D capabilities.
Like a year-round film festival, the three-screen Capitol features a mix of mainstream Hollywood films as well as specialty and independent films. The Capitol’s expanded lounge and concession area includes a selection of beer, wine and cocktails, along with traditional movie concession favorites.
The Capitol has something for everyone with $1 family films, happy hour specials, Spanish subtitled Hollywood blockbusters, and exciting partnerships such as the Cleveland Museum of Natural History (CMNH) Reel Science Film Series. Reel Science explores the facts and fictions in each film with an introduction and post-screening discussion hosted by one of the experts from CMNH.
The Capitol Theatre is owned by DSCDO and operated by Cleveland Cinemas. For current shows, times and rental information visit their website.
1390 West 65th Street,
Cleveland, OH 44102